Our Story

How it all started...

Calvary Baptist Church began in 1950 with a three-week tent revival. On Nov. 5, 1950, Calvary Baptist Church was organized with 71 charter members and first pastor, Billy Kitchens.
On May 13, 1951, the church moved into its first building, located on Bynum Avenue. On Oct. 1, 1951, the church requested to be admitted to the Tennessee River Association.
Due to the objections of one local minister, many of the members had to be re-baptized by a Southern Baptist ordained minister in order for the church to be admitted.
The first homecoming was held on Nov. 4, 1951 with 177 present in Sunday school.
The church moved to its current location, 305 County Park Road in Scottsboro, on Dec. 5, 1970.

Expanding the vision...

As God continued to bless and grow Calvary, the vision expanded beyond simply gathering for worship. Our church has sought to reach our community, disciple believers, and invest in the next generation. Through ministries for children, students, and adults, Calvary continues to pursue the mission of making disciples and sharing the hope of the gospel with those around us. 

Where we are headed...

As we look to the future, our desire is to remain faithful to God’s Word while continuing to reach people with the gospel. We are committed to growing deeper in discipleship, strengthening families, and equipping the next generation to follow Christ. Our prayer is that God will continue using Calvary to impact our community and beyond for His glory. 

Be a part of our story...

Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together a 10:15AM.